Saturday, December 27, 2014

Smash Bros. ASSIST ME! Link

If you're reading this blog, hopefully you've already seen Learn to Smash, which is Max's basics tutorial for Super Smash Bros. 4. If not, check it out here:


In this video, I had the honor of playing one of my childhood video game heroes, Link from the Legend of Zelda franchise.

The backstory here is that when Matt and I were young cosplayers, we dressed as original designs of Link and Agahnim. When it came time to cast for Smash Assist Me!, Simmons egged me to play Link. At first I resisted, because I'm pushing 30 and didn't think I'd be able to pull off the young Elven look anymore. But he insisted, and so I compromised that I would play Link if I could keep my beard and basically play Link as a gritty, battle-hardened man. Matt was fine with that, and so we moved forward.

When it comes to the question, "Why does Link look like that?", that's the short answer. Of course, I couldn't leave it at that. So if you want to know the in-depth reasoning behind this twist on such a classic character, read on.

Which Version of Link is This?

There are some hints here right in the video. I wanted to include some more with the costume, but time and budget prevented that. This Link is the Hero of Time, or the Link that appears in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. The big clue is the inclusion of Navi, who is only a companion to that incarnation of Link.

One of the more subtle hints is the design of his Hylian Shield. I wanted to feature the decals from Ocarina of Time, but make the shield look old and customized, hence the sharpened edges. The style of his baldric (the belt around the chest for the sword) is also based on his Ocarina of Time design, just more detailed.

The reason I went with the Hero of Time incarnation. instead of the more modern Hero of Twilight or Hero of Skyloft, was simply a matter of personal preference. Ocarina of Time was a game I played over and over as a kid, and it is still my favorite in the series. I still consider that Link to be the true original Link (any game they say takes place before it in the timeline can suck it). It's that Link that I wanted to portray.

Why the Beard and Eyepatch?

Since I am portraying Link at an older age, I wanted him to look the part. Many older Hylian men are depicted with facial hair, so they're not like Tolkein elves, which seem to never have any whatsoever. The eyepatch is actually something I thought would be fitting because in Twilight Princess, you encounter the restless spirit of the Hero of Time, and he's missing his right eye.

The Hero's Shade, as he's known.
I interpret this as an indication that he lost his right eye at some point in his life. When exactly is anybody's guess, but it seems I'm not alone in this.

Credit to Sage-of-Winds at DeviantArt.
That there was one awesome piece of fanart that inspired the design of my Link.

Is This Link a Badguy?

Link does some pretty dark stuff in the episode. He breaks a pot, steals some money from it, eats Doom's yogurt, and ultimately stabs Doom with the Master Sword.

That being said, no. My Link is not a badguy. In his world, it's pretty normal to break pots and keep money found in them (any Zelda fan knows this.) And come on - Doctor Doom may be a fan favorite in Assist Me, but he's not exactly one of the goodguys. Link tormenting him is all in a day's work for a hero - and it's funny.

I actually think of my Link as somebody who has lived longer than his appearance suggests. His adventures in Termina (Majora's Mask), may have actually taken years without aging him, as he was reliving the same 3-day cycle. His scars and old wounds show that he has seen a lot of fighting (it's assumed that in his timeline, Ganondorf attacked Hyrule and was ultimately captured). I think of the Hyrule he comes from as war-torn and hard to live in.

Despite that, he's a good guy. He's a hero, sort of a paladin. But he's older, he's seen some shit, and he's (at least a bit) belligerent and bitter.

Other Inspiration

This article wouldn't be complete without crediting artist Aaron Morse, whos portfolio is found at www.threenineart.com. I stumbled across his redesign of Link:


He kindly granted me permission to use this as a starting point for my Link costume. I used the pointed jerkin, the overall shape of the shield, and the attached cowl (hood) from this design. Of course I took some of my own liberties, but this awesome model was a huge inspiration.

Will We See Link Again?

I like to think we will. We have some other plans for Smash Assist Me!, if it continues to grow in popularity. So keep your ear to the ground! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment